Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Take Note



Elizabeth here with another quick craft perfect for last minute gift giving.  I’m all about the quick since my attention span doesn't allow me to take on projects that take days … I am very easily distracted … just look at the piles of unfinished good-intentions lying dust covered around my room.

Yes. Truth time. I’ve got piles. Heeheehee!

So with that confession, I better get to posting the project or we may soon be discussing how to easily construct box cushions for bar stools … which are next on my to-do list … I’m still wondering about where to place the ties … oh brother … see? Off I go … focus, focus, focus …

I originally made this Quick Notepad Gift for a group of church girls I work with.  They were spending a few days at a retreat and I wanted to send them with something from me that was both homemade and useful. I decided a cute notepad for recording thoughts and passages would fit those parameters. 

The little notepads I found HERE caught my attention and so I used them as the basis for my design. As you will see in the how-to photos below, I made my version re-fillable so the girls can easily add paper when it runs out.  They will just need a hole punch and some quarter sheets of copy paper.  Nothing too fancy-schmancy or complicated.

I love that term … fancy-schmancy.  It’s so fun to say : ).

Okay, focus … on to the How-To’s.



Step One: Gather supplies



  • Chipboard (I used some with a white backing for a more finished look)
  • Pattern paper
  • Copy paper
  • Ribbon
  • Magnet sheet (optional)
  • Trimmer
  • Perforating blade (optional)
  • Hole punch
  • Scissors
  • Pen (not pictured)
  • Adhesive



Step Two:  Cut Notepad Pieces



Cut the following pieces from both pattern paper AND chipboard:
  • 4 ¾ x 5 ¾ inches
  • 4 ¾ x 1 ¼ inches


Cut the copy paper into quarter sheets:
  • 4 ¼ x 5 ½ inches
  • perforate sheets about 1 inch from top edge if desired



Step Three: Adhere Pieces Together



Glue the pattern paper pieces to the corresponding chipboard pieces.



Step Four: Layer Pieces and Mark Binding Holes



Layer pieces as shown in picture and mark placement of binding holes. 



Step Five: Punch Binding Holes



You may need to do this a few layers at a time, using the top chipboard strip as a placement guide.



Step Six: Bind It



Thread about 12 inches of ribbon through the binding holes and tie off in a square knot.



Step Seven: Trim Ribbon



After I trim my ribbon, I like to seal it with clear nail polish so that it doesn't fray.  This step may seem superfluous, but it will help prevent the ribbon from becoming shabby as it is threaded and re-threaded through the binding holes when the copy paper gets replenished.  Your call. 

And if you are so inclined, you could also add a magnet sheet to the back of the notepad for attaching it to a fridge or memo board.  I like to recycle those magnet calendars that my auto insurance company sends … they are easy to cut and FREE!  Score!


Have fun adding this Quick Notepad to your arsenal of fast, homemade gifts!  It’s also easy and inexpensive enough that you could use it for a group craft activity.  Enjoy!


signature

No comments:

Post a Comment