Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Artist Spotlight: Barbara Dykhouse

Hello Everyone! Anna here and it's that time again!

It's Artist Spotlight Time!

If you are interested in being featured as one of our future Artist Spotlights please send an email here:  thecraftingjournals@gmail.com

This month I have the pleasure of introducing you to our October Artist Spotlight.  She is a dear friend of mine and her name is Barbara Dykhouse.  Not only does she do beautiful paper crafts but she also does beautiful quilts and she is not afraid to try out a new recipe in the kitchen.  I have known Barbara for many many years and I will always treasure our friendship.  

Thank you Barbara for being our October Artist Spotlight!     

Name: Barbara Dykhouse
City & State: Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Your Craft:  Paper Arts

You can find Barbara at any of these places.  
*Business website: barbaradykhouse.stampinup.net

A little Bit about Barbara;  
I grew up in Chicago, and when I look back on my childhood, I realize I was influenced by many creative people in my life.  My paternal grandmother sewed and did a lot of "hand work."  She considered her sewing machine one of her most prized possessions.  My maternal grandmother was a knitter.  My mother loved needlepoint and quilting.  My father was a mechanic by trade, but he was also a skilled woodworker.  By the time I was 8, I was sewing clothes for my dolls.  I loved to draw and paint.  Once I was old enough to take the "L" down to the Loop, my favorite place to go on Sunday afternoons was the Art Institute.  

Questions:
1.  How long have you been rubber stamping crafting?
I have always been a crafter!  As an art major in college, I have tried many different mediums, including clay, painting (oils, acrylic, egg tempera, and watercolor) and fiber arts.  I've dabbled in crocheting, macrame, and for many years I was an avid quilter.  I have been concentrating on rubber stamp art for the last ten years.

2.  What got you started stamping?
My daughter had a neighbor who was a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.  We went to a party at her house.  I spent about $75 so I could duplicate a beautiful sunflower card.  That was it.  I was hooked!

3.  What is your most favorite item that you have made?
I made a framed piece of art for Christmas several years ago.  I look forward to taking it out and putting it on display every year.

4.  What is the number 1 thing you can't live with out when you are crafting?
Good music and a glass of red wine.  (Ha!  Only in the evenings...)  I can't list just one thing because color, texture, and a good sketch all work together!  I especially love the color coordination that Stampin' Up! offers.  In March 2015 I will celebrate my 10th anniversary as a Stampin' Up! demonstrator.

5.  How often do you or are you able to spend crafting in a weeks time?  or a Months time?   How many hours? 

When possible, I try to head up to my studio around 7 pm and work for 2-3 hours.  It all depends if I am designing for classes or just playing for the pure joy of it!  I try to do that several times a week.

Here are a few more pieces of Barbara's work.  

signature

1 comment: